In 1908, enough funds had been gathered by the Ladies Aid Society to buy the half city block opposite Constitution Square for $2,600.
The period of 1908 through 1912 was perhaps the biggest era in the history of the Home. It was certainly the busiest. The site was acquired, the building fund of $10,000 was augmented by a $20,000 bequest from a prominent civic leader, an architect was hired and the building was completed. When finished, the Home was expected to accommodate up to 100 children and included dormitories, an infirmary, kitchen, laundry and all the “modern” conveniences. The two-story and basement structure comprise 5,700 square feet on each floor and continues to serve the Home today as its Administrative Office Building. (The building was named the “Mark S. Phelps Building” in early 2011 in recognition of a past Executive Director who served CHS from August 1985 until his untimely passing in June 2010.)